Surprises at Camp Manito-wish



by: Novena Christal, Schuler Scholar, Maine East High School, Class of 2019 

What surprised me the most about Camp Manito-wish was how open I was to new people and new situations.  Camp Manito-wish is different from the life I am used to, yet being a part of camp made me feel like I was a part of a community.  The whole place radiated positive energy and I was surprised to learn how easily I opened up to my new Schuler family from Maine East.  By the end of camp, I felt really comfortable with people I barely knew 10 days before.  

Camp was also an opportunity to interact with Schuler Scholars from other schools.  We spent a lot of time with them and shared many fun memories together.  Additionally, I had the opportunity to interact with the Scholar Coaches, who supported us and encouraged us, especially when we knew we could not do things on our own.

The newest experience for me was trail.  Right before leaving, I couldn’t help but think, “What have I gotten myself into?”  After the first night, though, I realized that I can do anything if I put my mind to it.  It actually felt really good to disconnect myself from the outside world and just worry about the here and now.   

The longer I was at camp the more I began to notice the small things about life that make it so amazing.  I truly believe that trail went so well because of our Trail Leader, who did not just teach us how to survive in the “wild,” but made the whole experience one to remember.  Overall, my experience at Camp Manito-wish has left me with so much more confidence for when I will be introduced to new people, ideas, and environments.

Comments

Popular Posts